[Chrysler300] 300C grilles and 1957 Daytona Beach 50th Anniversary

[Chrysler300] 300C grilles and 1957 Daytona Beach 50th Anniversary

1) re the recent question re 1957 300C grilles, and whether they have the
missing sector for the hood release:  car no 1046 (dec 28 1956), as well as
2157 and 2210 (mid April 57) all (do not) have the missing piece at top of
grille that allows a finger in to release the hood.  All are likely original
grilles, in that they are all identical re construction, and cars known
unmodified since early 70s.  I also recently purchased a 4th grille, it off
a car wrecked nearly 30 years ago - it is identical to other three - no
piece at the top where the hood release is accessed, and exact same
construction.

(Regards differences between the C productions - the Dec 56 car has 120 mph
speedo, and likely no brake duct meshes originally, as it had later ones
fitted when purchased - this seems in line with what Wayne has noted as not
unusual for early production?).

2) Is anyone interested in doing something re the coming 50th Anniversary of
Daytona Beach Competition - Daytona 1957 was where just before the run,
Chrysler burnt out the clutch in their (prototype)(fuel injected) 300C
entry, and then only ran about 135 mph in a substitute car supposedly
grabbed from the car park, this seeing them soon after run a 'smoothed 300C
back home at about 145mph.
(Ford topped Daytona 57 with a supposedly unblown 312 TBird (semi
streamlined) - 160 mph  - see May 1957 HotRod Magazine for full results -
Ford also had blown 312 versions, as well as 368 Lincoln engined ones, other
makes many special 'stock cars' - such as a pretty bloody fast 57 Plymouth
Fury (150mph)  HotRod magazine were involved with?)

The reason I ask is one of my Cs ran on Daytona in 57, but due to Daytona
being early in the year, and the 300C seemingly not really starting
production until near Christmas 56, they could not solve problems re the
supercharged engine leaning out under the flying mile conditions - it
locking the motor at the beginning of the timed mile on second run at just
on 150mph.
After Daytona, they (supposedly Briggs Cunninham and McCulloch) solved the
fuel starvation problem (enclosed both carbs in box, special race spec
blower built by McCulloch, etc), and the car ran successfully (supposedly
never lost a race) at the drags in nearby States, but the car never ran at
Daytona again.

What I was wondering are there any other cars that are around today that are
known to have run at Daytona, and would anyone be interested in going there
for the 50th Anniversary early 2007 - that is without knowing what is now
where they used to run the annual event on the Beach?!

Obviously I would have to organise bringing my car over there, so I would
need to start to get organised/cashed up pretty soon, so let me know, or
else maybe let me know who may have a car from back then that may be
interested if they knew someone else who has an ex Daytona car, and maybe
might be?

yours from Australia where 98 octane is getting bloody dearer, never mind
our dollar to yours is heading south value wise once more  !!

Christopher

Yahoo! Groups Links