[Chrysler300] SRT300C arrives in Oz

Newsagents here are carrying latest monthly National Motor Mag with new SRT
Chrysler 300 on the cover - inside they got 5.6 secs 0-60 mph, and 13.8 secs
for the quarter mile - price is around $71,000 Aus (about $50K something
US).  They mentioned no cylinder deactivation on this model, and say it will
give local base V8 GM and Ford family size product some good competition.
Overall on a quick read, they are more positive about this one, saying it is
a second quicker than the 5.7 model.

And on 'real Chrysler 300C' newsfront, I today started on rust in the lower
body on the Flying Mile Dealer Supercharged 57 300C.  On removing carpet,
the cabin floors are mint except where the underfloor brackets have made
contact, and small area of rust near sill edge of driver's feet. No doubt a
legacy of it's first real drive/use was on Daytona Beach 1957 Time Trials
where it was supposedly doing/did over 150 mph - that sure would have blown
a lot of salt well into those small underfloor brackets.  Luckily near all
the rest of underneath the car is zero rust, the proofcoating on the
underside of floors, trunk floor etc, still like new, so maybe much of any
salt was better washed off these more easy areas?

With the help of a donor floor, all going well, maybe three weeks of
part-fulltime effort may see the floor fitted with new old brackets,
underfloor seat support plates. Goodbye to the US applied alloy perforated
mesh, flywire and bondo, that some bodgy US 'fixer' applied some years back.
(Please may I not be overoptimistic on the time guess - have done one 300C
floor before, but not with donor/original parts, and it was a real
chore/pain/epic)

Maybe then I can go SRT hunting - the car has a limited slip diff, and
was/is supposedly 550 bhp on Briggs Cunningham's dyno back in 1958, and with
only 55K miles on the clock, should be intertesting versus the SRT, although
wider 20 inch rims the SRT is fitted with, may mean a rolling start may be
fairer?

Now if Chrysler/Daimler will just put the SRT into something weighing 3200
lbs, rather than the 300's 4000lbs, plus something more sexy shape of 2 door
form, and then maybe they are really cooking 300 nameplate/legacy wise?!
Or is that like wishing gas prices went back to a dollar a gallon, and cops
never used radar - only booked you for driving fast it it totally unsafe !?

yours from OZ, hope you are enjoying your cars wherever, I still a long way
(too poor!) from worrying about 100% correct batteries/etc, but it good to
see it decided/discussed all these little imnportant things if wishing to do
full/proper job.
Christopher

Yahoo! Groups Links