[Chrysler300] rusty versus non rusty 300C/D?

[Chrysler300] rusty versus non rusty 300C/D?

Recently Ebay has seen some 'restoration project' 300C cars, plus there have
been others listed that mentioned signs of floor replacement to non original
quality.  And rust sure seems the worst enemy of 300Cs, and likely 300Ds?

Obviously unrusted cars were usually restored before ones that were worse,
but the question I ask if anyone wishes to hazzard a rough reply is:

'if there are approx 20% of original production numbers that still survive,
has anyone tried to figure/guess what percentage of these survived virtually
rust free - ie still have original rockers, non rusted original floors,
guard lowers and front tips etc.?'

I have played with cars for years, and tackling rust in 300C lower body is
something that must be done right, and with today's MIG and TIG Welders, can
be, but boy on recent offerings there are some cars out there that will
cause real grief re fixing them so they are aqcceptably like factory in the
metal, before paint hides untold errors/sins?

Chasing the rare chrome diecast, air cleaners, hubcaps, stainless side trim,
etc ad nausem on most early 300s is costly enough, but I hate to guesstimate
what a top sheetmetal/body shop would ask just to do the rust in a badly
rusted 300C or D - and by 'do', I mean so it was like factory, virtually
zero bog/bondo on any join/seam/weld.

Has anyone done a 'rust removal guide/traps' for either the 300C/D, or later
unibody 300F/G, because someone sure should, or at least start one that
others (Members) could add their two bobs worth of advice/warnings.
I had/have a mint rust free 1st 300C, and my 2nd was mostly untouched where
it has rust (despite being a dry climate California dirt farmer's car) - so
all one had to do was measure and duplicate.  My current/third car, boy has
it been bodgied in places - alloy mesh, bondo, chicken wire, pop riveted
pieces!! - but I have my two others to copy measure from, plus am using good
original pieces from donor floors, and learned heaps from the one before,
plus then kept all cut out bits for templates if ever needed.
Without this, any wonder I hear of some Member's huge sums wasted on 'well
intentioned panel shops' that only make a mess and see desperate owners take
their cars out unfinished and down the hole for sums over $10-20K with often
only wrong work done. And this is before 'backyarders', amateurs, have a go
- and boy are there some 300 traps/tricks waiting to trip you/them?!

Values for early 300s are apparently higher now - how about now the badly
rusted and weathered cars are being saved, that some 'rust restorer's guide'
is started, so we don't see more badly butchered cars that are worse than if
just left until someone 'who knows and can' does what should be done to fix
their rust?!

Enough of that - anyone game to volunteer what percentage are left that
never needed rust repair to sills /floors/etc?  Or even, what % of those
'now known as survived', are registered and able to be used, driven say 100
miles and back?

Christopher in Oz

Home is just a click away.? Make Yahoo! your home page now.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM