[Chrysler300] starting problems?

No one else has gone there yet, although a couple have hinted at it, so two
bob's worth from the aussie - a bit of gas for the fire/subject?

I have a 71 El Camino (Chev - a four letter word, but maybe better or worse
than that other four letter word - Ford?! - I use it to cart round my non 4
letter word car bits, plus I have fun blowing off new cars in it ) - it is
tuff hi-comp good streeter motor, and as such needs near 100 octane plus
fuel/gas.

Part A - While I ran it on 'non ethanol' added fuel, it started just great,
even in 115 degree aussie summer temps.

Part B -  Ethanol blend fuels have just arrived in Oz the last year (not
before this, due to sort of being illegal until now, cause big foreign fuel
companies 'leaned' on our Fed Govt) - so I switched to using a 15% 95 plus
octane fuel - instantly, even if leave the car for more than 30 mins,
esopecially in warmer weather, half plus times it won't start - however tip
a bit of fuel down the carb - whammo, she fires straight up.  Leave it
o/nite - crank crank crank - nothing - however bit of fuel from small glass
soft drink bottle - instant whammo.  Other friend with non injected cars
(about 6 GTOs , wife's car etc) - exact same result when he tried ethanol
blends, even got stranded after stopping just at a shop.  Yet then back on
non ethanol blend fuel - all his problems gone.

So finally I ask the question I think I know the answer to - aren't a lot of
US Fuels now ethanol blends? If they are, that could be part of John and
others' problems.
And the other one re 'vapourisation', is never replace cars's original steel
'oem' fuel/gas line from rear of car to pump with copper - today's fuels are
indeed not as good as 50-60 fuels re temperature sensativity, and copper
line will apparently draw great heat from bitumen etc on hot days.  The fact
that fuel is also not what it was back then, maybe also somewhat explains
where the fuel goes out of filter bowls and carbs when standing after being
hot?

And so a final re ethanol blend fuels - they are (apparently)(best, least
troublesome) for fuel injected cars with high pressure electric pumps, not
for our old 'mechanical pump' cars - so said the gas station guy when I told
of problems - he saying he daily hearing many stories of troubles of mech
pump cars.
Bit of a bummer, bloody great fuel, nice 60s high octane exhaust smell,
cheaper here because of govt concession to encourage use, and pinging gone.
So I cart the trusting small soft driink bottle round if doing big trips on
ethanol fuel - small price versus burnt pistons, never mind the singed
wallet alternative of buying non ethanol 95 octane at 10c a litre premium
over normal 90 octane unleaded - this car's cam loves fuel, not good mpgs !

All the best from Oz - hoping to spend final few hours on Sat welding in
last of d/s rear rocker section on my Super300C - boy if you can, buy a
solid rust free one, so much work doing rust in one properly, so unless real
brave/rich, avoid the real rusty ones unless can do it yourself and know how
to !?

ps current national Car mag ran a stock GM aussie ute (Holden Commodore) in
it's sports V8 Chev specs against a similar top spec performance RAM
Ute/pickup - top speed was World's fastest RAM beating just over 250 kph!!
Go aussies??!
Christopher

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM