RE: [Chrysler300] Yunick on Kiekhaefer

Question re mention of Yunick and Chev? - about 1957 didn't Smokey Yunick
drive Pontiacs, and about this time Pontiac was regarded (seemingly by many
motor scribes/punters) as likely the hottest street stock car as against the
300C ( the 300C being the end of the Mercury 'Mr K' 300 race story?)

This may have been Pontiac were smarter than Chrysler re prepping
(cheating?) their roadtest cars - those over in the US offer comment if you
know/wish - Royal Pontiac became notorious in the 60s for their non stock
'stock' road test cars.

I know little about Mr (Mercury Outboards) K, but it seems likely as a
'reasonable guess?', he and Smokey must have exchanged a few poorly
chosen/received words or some fender paint at some earlier time, and
seemingly Mr Yunick was not too impressed by whatever subsequent/final
discussion they may have had re this incident - that is my guess, that how
these 'toilet games' often begin - when one tries to be smarter than one
should !?
Smokey went on to become a real US race hero/driver, whilst Mr K I think did
OK out of his outboards?! Chrysler and racing 300s - no story/fairytale
there, apart from one spectacular 'private entry' result at Bonneville, with
a twin blown 300F?!

Great to hear Lawton went so well - pity it a bit hard to drive a 300 there
from Australia, never mind what the gas bill would be there and return - I
look forward to the shots going on site.

Christopher in Oz where the nation looks like it facing it's near 2nd driest
year in (whiteman) history

>From: "Owen Grigg" <ram300@xxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "'Wayne Graefen'" <wgraefen@xxxxxxx>,"'Intl 300'"
><Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Yunick on Kiekhaefer
>Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:26:53 +1300
>
>I would say this......... it's the only time that Chrysler was BEHIND
>Chevrolet back then!
>
>Owen

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: