Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Electric Window Motors

Well, this is embarrassing, I don't remember much about the relays. Its been a few years and the Rolodex is squeaking from lack of lube. I do remember I started with a round Ford/Mercury outboard type starter relay, but that really gave a clunk and was just too big. The relays I ended up using I got off of eBay, I think they were just Mopar starting relays like this. Just drilled a couple of mounting holes at the edge of the opening in the door, right next to the window motor and then made sure nothing would contact the relay or wiring when the window was operated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE-PLYMOUTH-CHRYSLER-1969-1970-1971-STARTER-RELAY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ80735QQihZ002QQitemZ120057022431QQrdZ1

Basically the relays could be mounted anywhere, I chose the door in order not to have to run more than one extra wire per door. Even the one wire was sort of difficult to get through the rubber boot at the door hinge, especially with said boot being 40 some years old. I used a #10 fine stranded flexible wire for the power feed. It was some wire I had from a job I had many years ago, but I would imagine it can be found today. Seems like any single pole 12 volt relay with a sufficient current rating would do, those big relays are probably overkill, but at least I know the contacts shouldn't weld together. Knock on wood, that probably jinxed them. :-D

That's about it, I was just winging it and it turned out ok.

Bill Huff