Re: [Chrysler300] Trailering a 300D

For hauling cars, you do not want any side rails. They block door
openings and more importantly, the car ends up rubbing against them, no
matter how tight you chain them down..
You said the price is right, so if you can sell for a profit after the
haul, then go for it. But, if you want to keep it for future use, I'd
pass and get a flat bed with chain pockets on the sides. The chain
pockets hold 2 X 4's very nicely and allow you to make sides anyway you
want, which makes the trailer much more versatile. Great for hauling
parts, furniture, and mulch.
Tilt trailers eliminate ramps, which is a plus. Some trailers have
captive ramps, another plus, hard to lose. Some have ramp storage
across the back. Any of these can be found new or nearly so for $2K or
less.
If time is not too pressing, scout around the rural areas, and at farm
or equipment auctions, trailers abound there and are much cheaper than
in the cities. Often for less than $1K, used.
Brakes are a must, and if whatever you buy has brakes on only 1 axle,
you can have them added to the other axle for about $100. at a trailer
shop/sales lot.
You can also buy a triangular storage box to mount on the tongue, but 1
or 2 $5. ammo boxes do just as well.
Finally, get at least 18', 20' is better, with less overhang.

Good Luck, Ray

On Jan 5, 2007, at 9:15 PM, John wrote:

> I am considering buying a used 16' x 6-1/2' car hauler to carry my
> 300-D home to Florida from South Carolina. I've picked this particular
> trailer because the price is right- I didn't want to spend $5,000 on a
> custom enclosed trailer I'll hardly use.  The trailer has a 12 inch
> high fence on the front and sides, and none at the rear
>
>   From the vast experience of the members of this listserver, am I
> going to be able to load a D on a trailer of those flatbed dimensions
> and a 12" high fence around the front & side perimeter?  I know the
> overall width of a D is 79.6", but the front tire track is 61.2"
>
>   Importantly, the bumpers will NOT be on the car.  I think this will
> affect both the maximum width and the amount of front overhang ahead
> of the front tires.
>
>   Thanks,
>   John Spiers

Yahoo! Groups Links