RE: [Chrysler300] 300 A?

Ruthanne had an expert come up to her at a car show and tell her that our
1955 C-300 was not a letter car since it did not have the "A".  She
corrected the poor uninformed guy.

Having given it some thought, it seems it would have been a huge and
courageous step for Chrysler to call their 1955 stroke of engineering and
marketing genius an "A", assuming that it would be a successful series.
Even calling the 1956 a "B" and suggesting there would be an ongoing series
was pretty courageous, and aren't we glad they did?

If Chrysler had started with an A in 1955 and continued to 2007 without
"I's" and "O's" to reduce confusion, we would now have 2007-EEE's.  No
wonder Chrysler returned to the C, as EEE sounds more like a shoe size or
the noise the brakes make when they lose their lining.  And eventually they
would have the 300-XXX!  The 300-X and 300-Z's sound pretty sexy, though,
and Nissan already used the 300-Z.  Mercedes Benz and others have also used
the number 300 in conjunction with letters.

While the new Chrysler SRT-8's could qualify as Chrysler 400's, it just
doesn't have that ring.  There is ample reason for drawing a circle around
our real letter cars and focusing on their unique characteristics and
history.

I see F**D is changing the name of their 500 series back to Taurus.  What a
bunch of bull.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA