Re: [Chrysler300] Changing a fuel pump

In a message dated 2/10/2007 2:06:03 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hey  -

I'm in the middle of changing out a defective fuel pump on my '64 -  I've
removed the old pump. I'm having a heck of a time putting on the new one  - I
compared it to the old one, and everything is the same - bolt pattern,  lever
length and angle, yet I cannot thread both bolts in, especially the one  more
rearward.

Am I missing something obvious? If I tighten the 'more  forward' bolt, the
rear one will not align, and the whole pump appears to cock  somewhat.

Thanks,
John Spiers
Lake Worth  FL

John,
          you've probably got  the fuel pump pushrod on the highest point of
the camshaft lobe.  Take a  few extra minutes and pull the alternator out so
you're not workiing just by  touch. Then reach into the hole and see how far in
you can push the pushrod. If  there's more than maybe a half inch protruding
out of the block bump the starter  until you can push that rod as far up as it
will go and then you'll be able to  get the fuel pump in. If the pushrod
keeps sliding down you can just load it up  with some bearing grease and that will
help it stick there till you get the pump  bolted in place.

Good luck,
Mike Laiserin

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: