[Chrysler300] Walter P.

More research on Walter P. Chrysler, Sr.-TIME's Man of the Year in 1928.

http://www.time.com/time/subscriber/personoftheyear/archive/stories/1928.htm

I was amazed to discover he had lived in the railroad town of Oelwein, Iowa
for a while and his son Walter, Jr. was born there.  I also lived there as a
young teen 1949-52 and perhaps that is where I contracted Chrysler fever.

It was interesting to read how his inspiration and legacy led directly to
our letter cars, and to the next two phases of HEMI's and today's "300's".
His successful niche play to drive a wedge between GM and Ford is worth the
read and recollection as we observe the current outcome of that effort 80
years ago.

I also realize this subject is only marginally 300-specific, so will get off
this kick.  Like most of us, I will continue to observe the continuing saga
of Chrysler with interest.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA