RE: [Chrysler300] GM to buy Chrysler!!!

The news re MB looking to offload Chrysler came to Australia a couple of
days ago via a German TV program we get here on our community TV
Channel/Station.  And it is not so surprising to me on the following points,
which others may correct me on if they think I have it wrong.

1) MB likely most profitable market (for it's rear drive larger motor cars)
would be the US??! - if this is correct, then why would they ever build/sell
a sexy/sports looking rear drive high output V8/whatever Chrysler that would
eat into, reduce, their exisrting MB product??   And that is why I believe
they chose the non MB 'brick like' shape for their new/current 300C.

2) MB likely wants to keep it's best ideas for new MB product - that why
instead of thinking/choosing a stand alone new original name for the 300C -
such as say 'Chrysler Hemi SR', Chrysler bloody big V8 motor thingo', or
whatever less dumb or more inspirartional name, they said 'lets rip off a
name many already know, rather than bother creating/selling a new one' -
that way we save money/risk??

3) when Chrysler not long afterwards does not give MB mega bucks for their
perhaps not too great efforts in not really showing some real new major
mainstream product, MB says, 'maybe we are better selling this baby, it is
work we don't need' ?!

And all the above is not criticism of MB - it has happened many times with
other 'name/product buyers' before current MB situation.

And now to the more worrying bits re what some members ask re GM  - like how
does GM buy Chrysler - exactly the same way as Studebaker and Packard
merged, failed, just on/near 50 years ago.
Both were companies that had built outstanding cars at different times, but
sadly like Chrysler, and even perhaps GM and Ford right now, had lost sight
of what main parts of the market wanted.  So the total sum of the Packard
Studebaker merger was now two companies still lost re what to do, only now
both more cash strapped/broke than pre merger!!  And the not too suprising
result - both belly up soon after.

And again without meaning any criticism, the US big 3 car makers all seem
lost re what to do re losing sales/jobs/factories to overseas owned
companies, one need look no further than as one member has already pointed
out - GM kills Oldsmobile!!!?  I think I am right in saying forget that Olds
goes right back to circa 1902, but mainly realise/remember that Olds, via
it's Cutlass models, was GM's biggest sales star/volume, profits maker!!, in
the mid/late 60s??

That GM could not bother trying to make the Cutlass that was the star of the
baby boomers in one of mankind's 'hippest/swingingest' periods - the late
60s - work for it in a more boring/mundane late 90s early 2000s period, I
think says it all !!!  (and further - provide a list of US cars built after
the early 70s that will be collectors' items??!! - that the big 3 have got
over 30 years without getting into bigger trouble before this has likely
been to sales of their F100s/pickups ??!!)

Anyhow, back to the 300C and Chysler now.
MB could have released an iconicflagship new 300 if they had wished, never
mind re whether they funded it also.  We get the UK "Top Gear" TV series
here - Volkswagen built the new 1000 horsepower Bugatti - cost $5m each,
sold at near 15% of that cost.  Just to show the world they could.  MB did
not need be so extravagent re the new 300C, but whatever, they made bloody
sure it was not going to steal any MB coupe or convert buyers??!
"Top Gear" just featured the Bugatti, and seemingly it may never, ever
soon,t be topped re how much ahead of everything else it is - never mind at
speed limited top speed of 240 mph, it empties it's gas tank in 12 mins and
only has gone 48 miles !!! And it totally 'blew away' the UK owning/loving
supercharged latest model new Ford GT40, and that was not just re how fast,
but also how driveable, civilised, etc.

Lamborghini nearly died until it found the right new buyer - it's loss would
have been sad if the name/history had died.  Chrysler owned by MB could have
been good, but MB (seemingly/sadly?) did not want it also 'too good' for US
sales/production for what Chrysler US was known for/best - traditional rear
drive higher horsepower?!

The trick/wish now, for Chrysler, and all other US makers, is very quickly
get new product rear drive 4 litre or more engined product that seems
better, has more character/appeal, than imports - otherwise not only likely
no more ever new 300s, my tip soon, no more big 3 US Makers??!

Here in Australia for the first time since we got serious about building
local design family size cars here after WWII, we actually have 2 world
class rear drive sedans/cars, that equal BMW/MB/Toyota - you are to get the
GM version badged as a Pontiac late in 2007 - uses GM latest Chev V8, has
amazing latest BMW and Merc type GM backed/designed traction, steering
correction, aids.  Ford's 4 litre 6 cylinder Falcon would also sell there,
but Ford won't build a lhd version, and are at risk of failing here in maybe
5 years time because  local volumes are going too low.  Both cars are
capable of 13 sec quarter miles in higher specs, have world class rear
suspensions, are a ball to drive, safety packed re handling/braking/6-8 air
bags, near world leading crash safe body shells.

Ford and GM may do well to consider taking all their aussie tooling/dies to
US, start production of them there, otherwise I feel they are like
Stude/Packard of 50 years ago - losing sales, and not able to fast track
development and funding of, needed new models in time ??

Better go - as usual shoot me down where you feel I am wrong - it will be
sad if we lose Ford and GM in Australia, and very sad if GM and Ford in the
US decline more and die, as first Japan, then Korea, and soon China show
them how??!  Chrysler deserves to survive, as do we deserve to see future
true new 300s, but it looks like a true saviour is needed, not an
opportunist, as sadly that one may have been milked a bit much already?

Christopher
to those of us making do with our 'old original 300s, maybe if the big 3
die, and no new 300s, that will not be the end of the world, but to others,
do your little bit if it will help?

>From: "Richard Osborne" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Chrysler300] GM to buy Chrysler!!!
>Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 12:00:40 -0500
>
>Automotive News is reporting that GM is in talks to buy Chrysler. Very
>interesting. Saw Dr. Z talking about the possibility of offloading Chrysler
>the other day. Could GM be better than the Germans?
>
>So much for the Nuke GM t-shirts of old.
>
>Richard Osborne

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles Today @ Lavalife - Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D23769&_t=754951090&_r=endtext_lavalife_dec_meet&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: