Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Armrests Barbie Syndrome!!

Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Armrests Barbie Syndrome!!

They say things go in threes - '55 300 armrests are smelling as they get
older, older Barbie dolls I make no added comment on, however my sunburnt
already 1957 300C 27 years ago even then had plastic armrests that smelt
pretty off even then - however that car had sat in Los Angeles sun so long
the original leather had turned to like breakfast cereal cardboard - touch
it and it turned to brown dust, except under backrests where sun had not
got.  The headlining which was out of the sun obviously, had also totally
'brittilised', so this car had seen some serious long term dry searing heat?

Today 27 years later, the plastic armrests have deterioted (bad spelling)
no worse, however leave the car with windows up in hot weather, and it can
sometimes smell pretty off - funny smell, one that I think I've decided not
to remember to well - maybe if I try, I think it smells like if one trod in
doggy do?! (not perhaps a too good impression if one has a new lady friend
one asks if she wants to go for a ride in your car - like is she going to
think she trod in it, or it is maybe on your shoes??)

My 2nd 300C, from north of LA, has same smell, but not as bad.  My other
car/300C, most of it's life out of the sun and heat, you have to smell them
pretty right up near end of your nose, but same smell - hey, how about that
- threes again - three out three Cs - all smell.

My first 300C is only 10 feet from where I am sitting now - it been another
near 100 degree day today, so maybe I can go smell it and see if my memory
of what it smells like is correct - otherwise others can add their smelly
impressions/memories?
As a final, no other car I have ever owned has had plastic that smells like
these 300C armrests, however I think there is another plastic part/piece of
300Cs that also has same smell - but for now can't remember what it was/is.
I can however vividly remember how brilliantly the 300C torqueflight auto
trans works, how you can just drive off at the lights and so easily leave
even modern cars for dead on part throttle drive off , it just goes whack
whack whack (more threes???!!!), and you look at the speedo, and you are
doing 40 mph - so OK I just got home in it a couple of hours ago, but it
always is so great the way it does it so well - makes the 70s GM Turbo 350
seem so old fashioned re the way it hates to kick back on same small
throttle that sees the 300C do that so well.  Anyhow ---

Seems pretty likely it is a heat thing that starts the ageing that causes
them to smell - people with cars from east coast may have no
problems/experiences?

Leave it with you,
Christopher

>From: "Terry & Andree Hoeman" <tehoema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: "johnl" <john@xxxxxxxxx>, <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,        "Rich
>Barber" <c300@xxxxxxx>, "Ron Stewart" <rstewart@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Armrests   Barbie Syndrome!!
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 19:13:51 -0600
>
>What is happening is that they are deteriorating and this is the
>elasticizer
>coming out as I remember.  Stumbled on to this some years ago when reading
>article called Barbie Syndrome.  The early Barbie's are doing this same
>thing I guess in many cases.
>
>Interesting the only 55's that are doing it for me are my original 300
>rests.   I have many others and they have not done anything---yet!!
>
>I sent a pair to Gary Goers some years ago for him to redye.  Got
>everything
>in the order but not them and he refuses to tell me what happened to them!!
>Have written many times and asked but no reply at all.
>
>My understanding is that the 56 ones besides being different design are
>different material which doesn't do this.  Hope for the 56 owners sake that
>is true.

Advertisement: 50% off on Xbox 360, PS and Nintendo Wii titles!
http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-4lab-71-bn-49-en-84-k-40-extended.html

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional