Re: [Chrysler300] Radiator Maintenance

tdcox wrote:

>This thread came from the Imperial website and was written by a member that
>also has a 300L, so I plagiarized it for our group.   I thought it was
>interesting and pertinent to those rebuilding one of our expensive engines
>and recoring a radiator.  Tom Cox
>

>I went to the "http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/CoolantFilters.html"; web
>site just now - what an excellent discussion on cooling system filters!
>Thank you very much for the link.  May I advise that everyone with an older
>car read those comments.  The experiences noted will give great insight for
>anyone with cooling problems.
>

>I rigged up a cone-shaped, window screen, supporting a T-shirt "filter", for
>a temporary filter.  It should do the trick for now, I'll need to reconfirm
>that I'm getting enough flow through it though.
>

>And thanks everyone for the input on the cooling system pressure.  One
>(hopefully!) more freeze plug to install!

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>
>For archives go to http://www.forwardlook.net/300-archive/
>Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities. Links

>This email was pre-scanned by Spam Guardian
>A Service Provided by http://www.foothill.net

Tom ,What I have been doing for years is after rebuilding an engine and
or cleaning the radiator is before I hookup the upper radiator hose I
take a piece od window screen and make a cup shaped piece and slip it
into the upper radiator inlet and take a wood handle and push it clear
into the radiator and then work it around in circles to form it to the
inlet.  Then take a pair of scissors and then trim the screen off
flush.  Then put the upper hose on .  Then drive it for several miles
and after cooling down I drain just enough coolant so as not have it
spill all over.  Remove the upper hose and remove the screen.  Biased on
how much crud you caught in the screen will give you an Idea on how much
more to drive it for a second test. After it has cleared up you can
either remove it or leave it in.  I only leave it in when the screen is
made from Stainless Steel.  But the system works great.

    Gary Barker

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional