RE: [Chrysler300] Manifold heat

A main reason heating T Model Ford oil in colder weather was Ford used a
planetary gear automatic transmission ( 2 speed) which was bolted direct to
the crank/motor, unlike today's autos where there is a fluid coupling.

In cold weather, the thicker oil caused sufficient drag (others may point
out more technically just where/how) that it had the effect near the same as
if one had pressed the metal foot pedal that constricted the band onto the
rotating gear drum - in other words, the car was in gear as soon as it
started.

So before cranking, you either jacked one rear wheel of the car up, or
jumped aside, and then onto the running board as it passed you, hopefully to
jump inside and press the brake pedal/band, before hitting anything in
front. This obviously does  not work if garage doors shut, or another car in
front!!   The hand brake lever could be pulled back hard if it worked,
however this tended to make it too hard for the motor to keep running after
intial cylinder fires in cold weather.  Electric starters when introduced
after first few years, solved the 'getting run' over problem somewhat.

Re current 300 intake hear debate, the intake manifolds on many early cars
were not heated, and it was common to see ice formed after the carb before
the motor in cold weather.  And some more trivia - in Australia it is
illegal to drive in bare feet - this I believe goes back to T Model Fords,
and that first gear was only engaged when your foot pressed the pedal down
very hard - it and the other two pedals is/were metal and went into the side
of the motor - which when it was running got hot, and in bare feet you could
not hold your foot on either first, reverse, or brake.  Top gear was fine
however - you just put the handbrake lever fully forward.  Many early roads
were so bad, non existant, top gear was too high, so you slogged along in
first - and bare feet would have made this impossible.

To all those who knew this already - apologies - T Fords made cars
affordable, in early days were a huge % of world's cars, put many people
into a car, and that in turn led to our later 300s, which were a sort of
affordable performance car?! Seeing Ford has just sold Aston Martin, maybe
Ford and GM, and Chrysler, need some sales miracle/product like Ford had
with it's flawed yet brilliant Model T ?!

Christopher in Oz

>From: G Barker <gbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: listserver 300 club <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Manifold heat
>Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:41:48 -0800
>
>I remember my dad telling me he used to start a fire under the engine in
>his Model T to warm it up and thin the oil.  Maybe we can develop a
>small holder for a can of Sterno for our cold carbs.   Just a thought
>and a bad one at that.   Gary Barker

Advertisement: Meet Sexy Singles at Lavalife today. Click here
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D25448&_t=754951090&_r=meet&_m=EXT

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lOt0.A/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/8LmulB/TM

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional