[Chrysler300] thanks

I want to thank all that helped get me back on the road during my recent
trek to Tulsa for the the Tulsarama event. It turned out to be a failed
harmonic balancer and Rob Kern's mechanic Ray Brown did a wonderful and
speedy job of replacing it with one I had overnighted from home. The problem
ocurred between Clovis NM and Lubbock TX. I initially thought it was the
power steering pump because that is where the sound seemed to be coming
from. After talking to a fellow that rebuilds the pumps, he suggested
putting a small amount of STP in it and that might quiet it. While watching
the STP slowly mix in with the fluid, I noticed the harmonic balancer
wiggling down below. Turning the engine off, I got below and slid it back on
straight and the noise was gone.... it had been rubbing on the timing cover.
We were in a Walmart parking lot, so I got some JB Weld and used it to hold
the balancer in place and headed for Lawton OK and Rob's mechanic. We drove
mostly at 55-60 for that stretch and it was still glued on when I got to
Lawton.

Other than that small problem, the trip was terrific and great fun cuising
down the highway listening to the XM radio 50's and 60's channels. I met Ron
Waters and a lot of the Forwardlook group in Tulsa and was finally able to
put some faces with the names on the list.

I have to thank everyone again and say I wouldn't have been able to complete
the trip without help of the club and especially Mike Vath who put out the
roadside assistance alert and Rob Kern for arranging for his mechanic.

George

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional