[Chrysler300] A fitting present for Mopsy's 50th Birthday

[Chrysler300] A fitting present for Mopsy's 50th Birthday

Hello 300'ly to all!
    Mopsy was assembled 50 years ago tomorrow, August 21st (#3N57-3216) and shipped to a dealer in Birmingham, Ala. on August 22nd. It was noted at the Lawton Meet by astute and respected friends in the club that her exterior door handles were not correct.  It was further explained to me at the Painesville Meet that these were '57 Dodge handles that found there way to her during a previous owner's restoratiojn activity. Thanks to John Lazenby , Wayne Graefen, Bill Spear, Jim Krausman, George McKovich, Gregg Leggatt, Chad Caldwell, Gary Goers and Jeff Carter for helping, advising, supplying handles, snubbers, and rivet kits for me to carry out and complete this summer project.  It just happened to come to completion tonight 1 hour prior to her 50th birthday! Sihilling Metal Polishing spent 7 weeks to replate and polish the handles to perfection.  Bill Spear provided a bit of foreshadowing at the Ohio Meet when he told me about the expense he went through restoring his handles. By the time the Painesville Meet was over I decided that the handle situation on Mopsy would be remedied. Chad Caldwell had a spare set of "old" and "new" rivet kits left over from his restoration projects which he sold me.  George McKovich and Jim Krausman supplied me with a variety of handles to select from to be sent away to Sihilling for polishing. Gary Goers promptly sent me the handle snubbers.  Jerry Wise , my friend and body shop proprietor (who was a big financial sponsor for the Lawton Meet) disassembled the selected handles to be sent for plating and re-assembled them and installed them along with a NOS driver's door latch I got off of e-bay last year. I spent the whole weekend prepping the door panels and working closer tolerances for the arm rests to fit better.  Jesser's supplied me with new lock cylinders which I had set by a local locksmith to work with my existing ignition key. Since the doors were apart for the handle scenario I had the door jams painted along with the inner door frames and A-pillars. I just finished 45 minutes ago from reassembling the door panels and sill plates. Needless to say, Mopsy looks dazzling for her 50th birthday!  As usual, nothing was easy or inexpensive but the smooth operation of the door latches and the correct freshly plated exterior door handles bring her back to splendid, correct beauty.  Forwardlooking to seeing many of you in Springfield next month!  By the way, my son RJ, the professional photographer who was at the Lawton Meet, will be in Springfield with me.  He will be shooting the meet and will be available for professional car sitting sessions.  See him in the hospitality suite to schedule a picture shoot.  The fee is to be determined between you and him.  He will again have available a DVD of the meet for sale at the end of the banquet. He also wants to take pictures of every year of Letter Car and Hurst for a club 2008 calendar!  So hopefully there will be at least one of each of these 'Brutes in attendance! TTFN.  ROB KERN

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: