  From: John
  To: Gloria Moon ; Chrysler 300 Club Intl
  Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 9:12 AM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Re: 300D Headliners

  Gloria & Group -

  I wonder, given a good original sample, if a firm like SMS Auto Fabrics in Oregon could reproduce the 300-D headliner, given the following:

  I have only once seen this type of headliner in a photo - Could it be that HEAT, and not glue, was used to bond the materials together? If so, SMS has a dedicated machine they use to reproduce heat-sealed vinyl door panels. I'm pretty sure they could do a 3-piece headliner, since they can do the long door panels usually found on two-door hardtops.

  SMS did the heat-sealed design on the center seatbacks of my 1964 Newport convertible a few years ago, and the shape and size were accurate, since they had my tattered originals with which to work. On my D, the headliner was gone already, and I'd have to look through the boxes of parts to see if those plastic-coated metal strips that Gloria described are there.

  I don't have a place to start regarding the strips.

  300ly,
  John Spiers

  Gloria Moon <agmoon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi John,

  That's a C headliner, not the "luxury" cloth 300D headliner. And that brings us to the discussion of headliners in D's. I think that all the 300C type headliners found in D's were replacements by folks who tried cleaning the cloth ones. You can't clean them, only tear them. If there was a running change, it should be by VIN as was the custom of Chrysler to use up the stock from the previous year until it was gone. There does not appear to be any interior code number for headliners on the data plate.

  This headliner is impossible to find. If anyone knows of a glue I can use to create the pattern, I might be able to make one. I've found the board, padding and material. I know how it was sandwiched into its pattern by gluing or a heat bonding process which I wouldn't be able to recreate. Gluing the pattern on to the board, then pressing the 2 layers down will mimic how the factory did this. So what I need is a glue that can be applied in a thin line which will not spread out but will penetrate the 2 layers and still be strong enough not to let them droop. (I've seen headliners sewn to recreate the pattern - looks awful).

  I have no idea how to refurbish the two plastic coated metal strips which run the length of the headliner boards and hold the 3 pieces together. Mine disintegrated when removed. Only metal left. If I get a headliner made, then I'll ask you all to go find some strips to attach them with.

  300ly,
  Gloria Moon

  PS: This car looks familiar and may have been at a meet. See if you can get a VIN.