Re: [Chrysler300] CLAMPS

  In our business of repairing late model trucks and cars, we see that most manufacturers use a flat spring clamp for coolant hoses. My opinion is that they do work quite well. Idea is constant torque. We do not reuse original clmps when replacing hoses.

  Corbin clamps seem to work well also. Old and rusty, they will break. Fresh, new  Corbin clamps, I would think would work very well due to the constant torque design.

  Corbin or flat spring clamps do require special tools. There is a somewhat pricey stainless steel screw type clamp that is available in some sizes for the HD truck market. No special tools required and it is a constant torque design which the basic worm drive hose clamp is not. The hex head tangential screw is tensioned against a belleville spring to accomplish constant torque,

  There was another clamp design that I remember on my IH products especially that used a hex head screw at right angle to the hose diameter. That clamp design was best dealt with with a special pair of pliers to cut them off.

  I do not like the spring clamps. But, for a proper restoration, new clamps will be correct and from what I see every day, fresh new clamps should work quite well. Constant torque is to control cold leaks. BTW.

  Three or four special tools and working with Corbin clamps or flat spring clamps is easier. Handy Corbin clamp tool locks to hold clamp open. Orienting the ears where they can be reached easily after you install them is good practice.

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: