RE: [Chrysler300] Replacing Heads & Gasket Sealer

RE: [Chrysler300] Replacing Heads & Gasket Sealer

Ray is I think dead right re some Chev motors having sealer on head bolts - as the bolts go through beyond the metal/cast, into the water jacket - water - this sealer is supposed I think to stop leaks, plus protect the exposed bolt threads from rusting.  Over time - few years usually, if the exposed thread rusts, it can be a bastard, mongrel - use whatever swear word you feel appropriate - getting the bolts to undo, out.  350 Chevs (family 283, 327, 350 -400sb) , are like this, and I think (correct me if wrong) Ford's Windsor 289, 302s?  Any motor where head (or any other such as water pump mount bolts, etc) bolts go into the water area, should be coated on thread ends with some quality protector, sealer, if you want to improve chances of removing next time ,if that may be some unknown time in future.

Old time head gaskets were first copper (aka 1920s -30s), then in the 50s steel, until composites came into current use/popularity.  An early days trick was to spray the old metal gaskets both sides with coating of silver paint.  Today's composites if colored say blue, most likely have already incorporated sealers on their surfaces, as one very well regarded sealer is same blue - if you wish you can buy in spray can, spray on, but usually that not needed, or maybe also not recommended?

Christopher in Oz

CC: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:00:13 -0600Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Replacing Heads & Gasket Sealer

If memory serves (i had 2 409's and a 348, back in the day), the sealer on the head bolts were due to them going into the water jacket area.RayOn Jan 28, 2008, at 2:19 PM, Mark Lindahl wrote:Hi Gary,The local Chrysler dealer does not have that 1122893 part number in their system.I remember taking the heads off an old Chevy 409 (sorry! non-mopar!) and it seemed like the head bolts had some type of gasket sealer on the threads of the bolts. Could this have been used so the head bolts did not loosen up?OK, start with all those Cheby jokes now! It sounds like any head gasket sealer is not needed, but I thought I would ask first.Thanks,Mark[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: