From: Wayne Graefen <wgraefen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Intl 300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:31 am
Subject: [Chrysler300] Fw: '57 & '58 300 trunklid insulation factory assembly, how'd they do it....

I'm hoping Robert Merrit, NY, will chime in on this and correct anything of his
corporate history that I misrepresent.  You see, it was SimplexCo, back in his
father's day, that produced for Detroit that tar soaked felt that was crimped
between the outer sheetmetal and the inner trunk frame prior to primer and
paint.  The felt is very highly absorbent of paint and in probably 90% of the
cars there is little to no evidence of the paint products because it was fully
absorbed.  During some production the paints were heavily enough applied that
they did show up to a very minor degree.  Remember these cars were built prior
to robotic painting so there is wide variation in coverage.  When you do see
very obvious paint on the trunk lid insulation, you can be certain that the
trunk inner was repainted at a later date after the tarred felt had been drying
and evaporating and remembering that it has already been lightly primed and
painted once each, succeeding coats become readily visible.  The felt had
multiple functions acting as a temperature insulator, sound insulator, rattle
/squeak insulator between the sheet metal and frame, and when the outer and
inner stampings were quite similar, the tarred felt significantly slowed all but
the edges of the unpaintable metal areas from rusting.

Wayne