[Chrysler300] AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

[Chrysler300] AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

Rich, Dan, and All:
I will try not to belabor this topic. (Scared to!!)

1.  My copy of the 1955 AMA Specs is also the 2-15-55.  I made a  copy of it
while at Chrysler in the '70s
     and would have certainly tryed to get the latest  issue.  Doesn't mean I
did, though.

2.  The 355 300B utilized a higher compression HEAD.   The confidential
bulletin to the dealers is dated
     June 13, 1956, and states the new heads are 10  to1.  It also states the
heads are identified by part
     "1730369-1".  They are not interchangeable  with the 9.0 1955 C300
heads.  They are to be used only with
     AGR-31 or colder plugs with ignition timing set  from 0 degrees to 4
degrees BTDC "depending upon
     octane rating of fuel available".    Wonder if these had a PN riveted on
them as Owen surmised
     his 390HP "C" may have.  Likely we will never  know.

3.  Chrysler microfilm records show only ONE C300 being built with a  manual
(code 1) Tranny.  That car
     (built in June) did go to Kiekhaefer, who  apparently converted it to a
300B for the next season!  How
     many other C300s were converted by owners to  manual shift is anybody's
guess.

4.  Regarding octane, Hemis (sphereical segment combustion chambers)  are
more tolerant of lower
     octane because they don't "squish" the fuel-air  mixture as unevenly as
other configurations.  I can
     only relate my personal experience of running my  300C in the sixties on
Sunoco 190 with no problems.
     Ran right well too.  The car had its heads  milled also, as I was at one
time going to make  it into a
     390 HP version since I had one of the Isky cams  used in the Daytona
Trials.  However, sanity prevailed
     and I bought a stock 300C cam from Chrysler and  "did the right thing".
300ly, Gil Cunningham
Tallahassee, FL

favorites at AOL Food.

<*> Your email settings: