Re: [Chrysler300] 62 300 POWER convert top problem

Re: [Chrysler300] 62 300 POWER convert top problem

Alan,    Go to the local junk yard and get the power pump out of a 80;s
Chrysler convert (any mopar will be the same).  Flush out the top
cylinders (I remove them and used alcohol) and refill using ATF
transmission fluid (what is called out on the pump label).  I stuck the
pump end of the hose in the fluid and pulled out the pistons which
sucked fluid into the cylinders.  I then screwed in the line to the pump
and then stuck the other line into the fluid and pushed the pistons down
sucking fluid up into the pistons.  Secure this line into the pump then
with the pump standing on its end - unplug the filler and use a 12 volt
batt to work the pump back and forward until the air is purged. You may
have to add more fluid occasionally.   The pump, with it's rubber feet
will snap right into the existing 4 pump mounting holes in your 62 -
Chrysler never changed the position of the holes from the fifties
through the 90's.   I did this on my 62 H convert and the top works
beautifully.  I think this pump is what you get if you were to buy a
pump from one of the convert top suppliers.

Ken Wilson, San Jose, Calif.

Alan Chastain wrote:

>Hello to all.  I have a 62 300 sport convert with "H" package.  My problem is my top growls and moves very slowly to go down and to come up.  I had the seat out today looking for a leak or a low reservoir or some sign of problem.  Dont see it.  It looks like a combo motor/pump unit.  Looks like a closed system.  Anybody had problems and/or suggestions to speed up or fix my slooooow top?
>
>Hope to hear from some of you.    Thanks,     Alan Chastain

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)