[Chrysler300] On the subject of C-300s place in history

[Chrysler300] On the subject of C-300s place in history

Having read the entertaining discussion on the true values of the original
300 on this forum, I would like to add my share from a recent happening.
Last week-end was the yearly Goodwood Revival in Sussex, UK with attendance
of 100.000 through the week-end and classic racing involving everything from
Austin A30s to Ferrari GTOs. Offs were frequent in good British tradition,
but all that stuff you can probably soon read about in various magazines.

My personal highlight was finding a vendor selling the archive photos of a
defunct British Magazine including a lot of old Chrysler press photos. On
the back of the regular C-300 Proving Ground picture it was glued a genuine
press release from Chrysler ("for release on or after Sunday, January 16,
1955"), and on the back of that again (into the glue) was the British
journalist's own scribbles about the car. The vendor was slightly amused by
my enthusiasm for this item, but anyhow it is now securely in my possession
without having to fight anyone else for it.

This is what I managed to get out of the on-the-spot scribbles:

Chrysler 300 - nicest American car out this year

 "import" (European) shocks, power brakes + fast steering make it manageable
+ 300 hp engine (dual carbs + racing camshaft make it fly like a bird when
you want it to. Cleaned up Chrysler stock body shows amazingly nice lines
without junk chrome- car is big but fun - Is very successful -no dealer has
been able to stock them. Chrysler planned limited production but is happy
with public response.

The bottom line is that in 1955, the C-300 was truly apprised also by
British journalists, who otherwise then (as now) seldom had anything
positive to say about cars made across the pond. That should be a very good
starting point when I am today trying to express the virtues of the original
300.

Narve Nordanger

UK/Norway

C-300 stored for the winter