[Chrysler300] An expensive and unpleasant lesson

[Chrysler300] An expensive and unpleasant lesson

Hello,

This is not directly 300 related but may be important to all of us regarding ethanol gas and fuel stablizers.

In the Fall of 2007 I winterized my pontoon and added the proper amount of stablizer (Sta-Bil) to about 6 - 8 gallons of 10% ethanol gas in my tank.  I put some stablizer in my 300C and lawn mower too.

In the Spring in getting the pontoon ready I fished up the flexible 3/8" pickup tube in the gas tank to check the screen.  It snapped off and when I got the remains out it had turned brittle to the point I could break it in my fingers.  I let the tank manufacturer know and they asked me about the stabilizer and gas I used and then sent me a new but different pickup tube.  The gas looked fine to me so I didn't change it.  Then the motor wouldn't start and the dealer changed the fuel pump under warranty (Merc - 4 stroke).  He didn't say anything about how the fuel pump failed or about changing the gas so I just added gas and used the pontoon a few times - then the primer bulb lost it elasticity, then a rubbery film formed inside the 3/8" fuel line - then I changed all the tubing and the gas and it ran OK again.  Shortly after though the new fuel pump failed dumping a lot of gas into the crankcase.  The pontoon is back at the dealer awaiting a new fuel pump.

I wish that was the end of the story, but it gets worse and more expensive.  When I finally changed to non-ethanol gas I took the 6 - 8 gallons of left-over ethanol gas (probably still with some stabilizer), filtered it and put it in my minivan to use it up.  A couple of times the car missed a little but otherwise seemed fine.  Then a few days ago it barely started, the malfunction light came on (book said - OK to drive but get service).  Well, I felt lucky to make it the 15 miles to the dealer.  Anyways the engine was completely fouled up and there is/was a brown film in the gas tank.  The cat converter also was ruined.  I'm waiting to hear back this afternoon if everything is fixed.

I can't imagine how gas could get this bad.  Is it possible some plasticizers or other oddball chemicals leached out from that pickup tube when it became brittle?  I understand ethanol absorbs moisture but is there a limit or a point where the gas won't burn correctly?.  I didn't bother to fill up the tank to eliminate airspace although that would probably help.  I haven't had any trouble with my C or mower but I now put ethanol free gas in anything where the gas will be standing for some time.

Somewhat wiser and poorer,
Carlton Schroeder, Eagle River, WI

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional