[Chrysler300] Tired Tires?

All Chrysler 300's have tires and tire issues, so hope this fits the news
filter.  See this investigative report for information on how to tell the
age of a tire:

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Essentially, the month of manufacture is placed in a little oval on the
outside surface of the tire that faces the center of the car.  The first two
digits are the week of the year and the last digit or two is the year.
8=1998, 08=2008.  The clip indicated the dates may now also be placed on the
outside surface of the tire that faces away from the center of the car.

As a consumer, we have the right to know how old the tire is before it is
purchased and mounted.  A five-year old tire may or may not hold up as well
as a one year-old tire.  I recently ordered out a set of Fisk narrow WSW for
my '86 Chrysler LeBaron and the dealer sent the first set back as he thought
they were too aged.  I'll go back to that guy.  I also put a new set of
Goodyear Wrangler tires on my Jeep this year and see they were manufactured
in 2007.

I'd think most new tires would have a pretty good shelf life, but who knows?
Might's well demand a recently-manufactured tire.  Any tire failure from
whatever cause might be blamed on an aged tire.  Low pressure probably ruins
the most tires and results in more fuel being burnt.  Air 'em up!

And, yes, I'm still running a low-mileage set of 15-year old Remington
L78-15's on our C-300 but hope to pick up a set of 8.00X15 General Dual 90's
from Lucas Automotive in Long Beach next month while travelling to the
Chrysler 300 Club, Inc. meet in Temecula (1/21-25/09)  see:
http://www.chrysler300clubinc.com/calendar.htm

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA