Re: [Chrysler300] clutch operation

  The smell you describe is most likely a hot clutch. Excessive slippage. Any clutch can be overloaded and slippage and then smell would be typical.

  Diaphragm clutches are described as smooth acting. Some of my my experiences with them leads me to the conclusion that heat through rough use will lead to rough clutch performance. What drivers do to my silky smooth didphragms is slip the heck out of them backing loaded tankers around and turning a super smooth clutch into something with a clutch pedal only a very stout gorilla can depress.

  So, if you have been slipping yours, a new one might be in order or live with it. Although, a high pedal effort does transfer directly to your engine thrust bearing, so - - -. Also as noted, having the flywheel ground is always a good idea and also a check of engine mounts. A bad pilot bearing can cause disengagement problems (as can a bunch of other things also).

  As a hard rule, I quit using remanufactured clutches many years ago. It can be all that is available however. I have had problems with every over the counter reman I have installed in the last 50 years except one and no problems with new units. They can be custom rebuilt sometimes.

  No flywheel I have resurfaced has been sufficiently flat before surface grinding BTW, no matter how nice and pretty it looked.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

  Guys, I have adjusted the K clutch pedal per the manual.  Free play and the play at end of clutch fork is per the data. The clutch is a diaphragm type , about 7 yrs old.

  There is a bit of resistance when the pedal is released, and the engine will drop a few initial rpm's.  The gas pedal is feathered to make a smother transition into first gear.

  It seems like a slight shudder and slight vibration prior to normal takeoff.  All shifting in forward and reverse are OK.   Could this be the pressure plate mis-behaving?

  If I try to bark the tires on level ground, the faint odor of disc/rotten eggs will arise.
  So, therefore no hole shots.  The car does dig in with out any noticeable slippage.

  Should the clutch be a smooth release with out any issues for a 2 ton vehicle?

                  thanks, 300K-ly Dave

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: