[Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 wheels (ooopssss)

[Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 wheels (ooopssss)

After receiving the message below, I remeasured my five powder coated wheels
and found my previous measurement was in error.  Measuring across the widest
outside edges of each flange showed four of the wheels to be a nice even 6
1/2", indicating a
5 1/2" wide wheel as specified.  This was confirmed after I found my
inside/outside caliper and measured close to the base of the flange.  The
fifth wheel was of a different construction with the center stamping riveted
to the outside rim and being a 5" wide wheel.  Probably from an older,
lighter MoPar car.

Apparently Chrysler decided to loosen up the purse strings in 1956 and
offered 6" wide wheels on 300's and NY's, as well as Imperials.

So, who needs a nice 5" wide black powder coated Chrysler product wheel?

Thanks, again, to Ed and I apologize to the members for violating my
Chrysler-man carpenter grandfather who tried to teach me to measure twice
and saw once.

Eating crow and humble pie for suggesting the possibility of an error in a
Chrysler publication...

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber

>From Ed Mills:

Typically the wheel width is about 1 inch less than measured at extreme
edges of metal lip - for steel wheels anyway its generally within 1/8
inch and you will be OK if you round to nearest half inch. more
precision requires knowledge of thickness of steel but again you can get
within 1/2 inch and you will know width which is actually measured
inside to inside. best, Ed

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: