[Chrysler300] More on Engine "gold"

When  my '55 arrived from Louisiana it included several boxes of miscellaneous left over from the first "resto". Among the miscellaneous were, as I recall about 3-4 cans of Chrysler part number labeled 12oz spray cans of gold and the same number of cans of argent silver. The cans were old and as I recall did not spray, the contents probably dry or clogged. The caps were painted to supposedly match the contents. I ended up having Sherman Williams make a custom match and I sprayed the bat wing and valve covers. About that time I purchased a slightly used '01 300M. On one service visit I took a can of gold to the dealer parts counter and asked if the part number was still good and available. The counter man went to his computer and to my surprise can back and asked " how many do you want, there are 35 cans at the LA depot". Thinking I made a find I ordered 3 cans at about $18.00/can. The outward appearance was identical to the old cans but the contents a
 far different gold!

As I recall this same discussion went around on the list server not long thereafter with the conclusion being that Chrysler ordered paint from many suppliers and if the Chrysler aerosol can carries the part correct number it is the "correct" color!

What else do you expect from factory production in the 50's

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)