RE: [Chrysler300] front U-joint grease

The 1955 FSM also calls for "universal joint grease" and refers to it as
"heavy fiber, universal joint grease" elsewhere, so perhaps it is more like
wheel bearing grease??.  In the lubrication section they refer to type UJG
(Universal Joint Grease) for the ball and trunnion joint--to be
disassembled, cleaned and repacked every 20,000 miles.  They specify Type
WBG for wheel bearings and CL for chassis lube points, indicating a
different type of lube was specified for the U-Joints.  A Google search on
"universal joint grease" will tell you more than you may want to know. Saab
offers 90 grams of CV joint grease for $3.91.

By the way, lube interval for rear wheel bearings in 1955 was 20,000 miles
and front wheel bearings was 10,000 miles.  Chassis lube was 1,000 miles and
oil change 5,000 miles.  Generator & distributor oil cups 5 drops engine oil
every 1,000 miles.  Highly recommended still.

I found this communication to be enlightening:

Q. What's the best grease to use for u-joints?
A. Most lithium based bearing lubricants work equally well. We do not
endorse any specific brand but some of our customers have reported excellent
results with LUBRIGUARD FCI Multi-Duty Grease. We have no test
comparisons to verify the claim and we do not supply specifications for this
product. Of course, as a matter of common sense, the grease should be clean,
free of dirt, contaminants and moisture.

Several references indicated regular lubing of U-joints was required to keep
them operating.  Communications on this server indicates that is true for
U-joints on 300's, also.  As a grease monkey in the '50's, I recall some
open U-joints had zerks on them and we just hit them with the regular
chassis lube.  Grease jobs were $1.50 then and we had a lot of regular
customers that came in anywhere from one/month to once/week for grease jobs.
Frequent lubing seemed a little over done, but waiting too long between
grease jobs could result in fittings not taking grease and needing
replacement.  This is likely still true for our old 300's--they are not
maintenance free like new cars with sealed bearings.