Re: [Chrysler300] 300F Tire questions - again!

Re: [Chrysler300] 300F Tire questions - again!

Hi Bob and all;
About the flex...
When you changed from Bias to Radial you should have noticed that you
didn't have to saw the steering wheel back and forth to keep it going
straight.
Bias ply tires have stiffer side-walls and the tread tends to make the
car wander, so you have to constantly correct the car.
Radials have much more give in the side-walls and this "wandering" is
absorbed in the side-walls.
The theory is that this stresses the rim, but I just think it's that
the rims are much older now and more subject to splitting along the
bead. I've seen this happen with regularity on overloaded wheels.

On a related subject, I just took  4 nearly unused (1000 mi. or so)
radial tires off my '66 300 convert. as they had exploded, while
stored. These tires were maybe 12 years old and good grade tires.
They literally exploded and left strands sticking out. This also
happened to my '90 Voyager's spare, never used, after 11-12 years.
Went to replace a flat and found it that way, shredded.

Ray in Mena