[Chrysler300] Re: 300F Tire questions - again!

[Chrysler300] Re: 300F Tire questions - again!

--Go to Previous message | Go to Next message | Back to MessagesMark as Unread | Print  ReplyReply AllMove...Inbox1961 Imperial Lebaro...60 300F61 Chrysler 300G66 Dart69 Daytona71 ChargerA Bodys OnlyCar stuffCar StuffChina Info FlightCraigs ListEbay Ad ExamplesEbay BoughtEbay soldFair ImagePasswordsSRT Contacts
 I recently purchased a set of Lester 950X14 bias ply tires for my 300F. I had the "road force variation" measured on each tire ($20.00 each) to make sure the tires remain round under a 1,200 LB load, which simulates actual road conditions. The tires tested very well showing only a 12-15 lb variation after being adjusted (by rotating the tire on the rim to optimize the best overall roundness of each tire and rim assembly) A tire showing over 25lb RFV is deemed to be scrap, and should be replaced. Remember that just because a tire  balances OK does NOT mean that it is round. Only by measuring the RFV (road force variation) will prove it out. By the  way, most tire shops can measure the RFV for you...it is not often advertised or well known. Of course, all of the above is being done AFTER measuring the wheels to
insure that they are round within spec as well.I am very happy with the smooth ride on my 300F, it drives like it should!

Bill Adams

- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, lettercars@... wrote:

> Tony, Noel and All:
> Gil Cunningham here.  I sure wish I could report all was well with my
> Universal AC tires, but, unfortunately such is not the case.  As Tony
> mentioned, while up in PA at the meet I stopped by the Universal Tire place in
> Hershey because their tires I had mounted and balanced here in Tallahassee did
> not ride as smooth as I felt they should.  There were far more "vibration"
> areas than with the 30 something year old B.F. Goodrich Silvertowns that I
> had  used to attend four meets.  (Given to me by member Terry McTaggart!)   Of
> course, those were bias ply tires---if that should matter.  I must state
> that the Universal people were extremely willing and anxious to help.  No
> complaints in that department at this time.  They ended up changing out 3  of
> the 4 new tires (1000+ miles on them), mostly because the sidewalls did not
> look right. (raised areas, both radially and circumferentially.  .I
> personally watched all zero out on the balancer.  They even took the  precaution
> to put the two which showed a little run-out on the  rear.  I worked along
> with them.
> On the way back to our hotel, I did feel there was definite  improvement,
> especially at highway speeds.  On the way back to  Florida, however, it
> became increasingly evident that the vibration, if  anything, was worse in the
> mid-speed ranges, and was most noticeable and  annoying when the road was
> smoothest!  Definitely unacceptable, and far  worse than that SET of radial
> tires I bought for the 300H at Discount Tire  many years ago for $95.00 (Plus
> tax, of course!)  That is not a  typo---$95.00!!  They have served very well
> while driving to many meets and  hardly look worn.
> Anyway, that is my story.  I called Universal after we arrived home  and
> explained the situation, but did not ask for anything specific, and nothing
> was offered.  I have not driven the car since, so don't know if some
> miraculous "healing" has taken place while it has been resting.  Ha.   I guess I
> will give it another test drive and then write Universal a  letter.  What to
> ask for?  Coker replacements?  Afraid of them  yet.  My B.F.G.s are long gone
> (worn out anyway).  Maybe another  balance?  Go back to bias?  Don't know.
> So no, I can't recommend Universal ACs  I am sorry to say.  They  do look
> great.   Makes me wish the car was a trailer queen--- then I  wouldn't care.
> 300ly, Gil
>

> In a message dated 8/11/2009 8:04:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> awrdoc@... writes:
>
> There  are well over 100 sets of Coker 235/75R14 on our cars today.
> Generally, they  require alot of lead to balance. They have not been any of the
> other problems  that have been associated with other size Coler tires.
>
> The ride and  steering on mr "F" conv have been great at all
> speeds. My  only problem recently was after having the tires rotated front to
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)