Re: [Chrysler300] Protecting hard to access enclosed areas

Re: [Chrysler300] Protecting hard to access enclosed areas

Carlton,

The Eastwood product and one of the Waxoyl products for use in hidden body panels are probably

variations of a petroleum wax. They are relatively soft material that builds a thin but decent film. The product

should not harden and crack like asphalt. A postive characteristic of the material is that it flows well during

the application to achieve some level of seam penetration. Unless poorly applied it should not block

drain holes. Some products are colored black and some are amber. The black material has some hiding properties but that doesn't change the performance.

The main issue is getting the material into the hidden areas. In the Ziebart business we had a variety of

high pressure and low pressure tooling that could be used in existing openings or drilled 3/8"holes.

The tool t hat worked best in frame rails and rocker panels is what we called a curve tool. The curve tool could be inserted 3-5 feet into an opening and sprayed forward. I don't know if these kits are going to give you that kind of tooling.

There are still a few Ziebart shops around. You could get the inside frame done after the restoration. Don't do it before, the wax base will bother paint adhesion.

As a general noted, i f a car is going through a restoration most all of the body panels will be accessable without drilling holes.

Two follow ups...there are thicker film rustproofing build products designed to be used on the underside of a car where road splash and abrasion are  factors . I wouldn't use them inside body panels or inside of the frame . There's a good chance it will plug drain holes. Second, I remember Waxoyl (maybe owned by Bilstein at the time) was the vender that supplied Chrysler with their Master Shield dealer applied rustproofing product. One of the components in the process was marketed as a no holes drilled fogging process. The theory is that the fog would fill the body panel and magically coat the areas to prevent corrosion. I saw lots of those jobs, suffice to say it didn't/doesn't/ won't work. Stay away from any material like that.

Jim Krausmann

Detroit