[Chrysler300] early 300 resto question?

Recent questions/comment re early 300 letter series, makes me want to raise a question concerning at least 300Cs, and I believe possibly other early series 300s.

My first 300C is an ex Los Angeles dry car, and in the driver's side rear wheel arch, stenciled in painted white lettering/numbers, are two ids, stencilings.

They seem to be the car's VIN, and it's engine number, the vin still fully 100% clear.

They are on the outer side of the frame rail, run upwards at about 40-60 degrees, parallel sort of with the edges of the frame rail, as it turns up to go over the diff housing below.

If you jack the car under the frame ahead of the rear driver's side wheel, so the wheel hangs down, you can sort of see them better if you look in.

My first question is was this stencilling/painted car and engine numbers standard 300C production line norm??? - ie if the car still a pretty dry city use car, it should be found on all 300Cs? - ie has anyone else noticed/found such white marking/ids?   It makes sense Chrysler Production Line would use some easily seen from above way of knowing what frame/body and engine combo they are building, as it comes down the line - white painted lettering is way more easily seen the tiny letters stamped into top of rear frame rail??!!  Before the body was dropped onto say a complted frame, this would be a clearly seen way of knowing the right body was being dropped on the intendeed mechanical combination built frame ??!!

2nd question - if no one has noticed other 300Cs with this white stenciling still visible, was such a similar method ever known/used/seen on any other 300s that used seperate frames, before they went to unibody construction later ??!!  Any ex Chrysler employees, old photos even, that remember such markings used, even if it on Plymouths or Imperials??

My dry underneath, ex LA 300C, had seemingly never been fooled with underneath - still ran it's original Oriflow shocks, and the lettering is so 'factory looking', plus who would bother applying both vin and engine numbers where it very hard to do so professionally once body and diff/wheels on?!  The original frame black paint's ageing seems to match the white that is applied on it. The car had last been used late 60s, before just sitting unused in LA sun, when I bought it as such 1980.  Who would bother applying such stencilling on such a valueless car way back pre 1980s??

I raised this topic briefly a while ago before I went offlist, but the then 300C guru/expert sort of indicated 'I was smoking pot', had 'smelt too many gas vapours', who knows what he was on about, but near a year later I am so sure the markings seem Factory, 300C production original, so the question is who would apply if not Factory?!  Ayone out there offer any comment before we are all too old to ever figure such small 300/300Cly things out while we still might?!

Christopher Australia - crazy weather still on here - summer across south part of our nation is usually dry - but repeated rain, sometmes in inches thunderstorms - like northern wet summer season has - over last weeks has ruined harvesting much prime hard grain, ruined Cherry crops, started coming massive summer weed outbreaks in paddocks/fallow. Then also is unseasonally early heat causing fires bad on mid east coast, but last couple of weeks cooler weather across our south, is maybe ending, with mid hundreds tipped again mid next week. Christmas weather anybody's guess, it raining outside now - 300Cs still under cover since May until weather settles into more usual dry summer pattern, as I have to move too many cars I don't mind getting wet as much as rust prone 300Cs - gas price around $5 a US gal, premium $5.60 gal.

Recently just bought on ebay about an hour an halfs worth of real professionally done old 1957 8 mm Florida driving Vacation home movies - played them last night as untold shots of US roads, Florida  roads and new bridges, Miami, Key West, etc - then later last night, noises in house, as if someone walking around on old timber floors, banging doors, etc - I did not sleep too well - I wanted to somewhat relive my supercharged 300Cs such trip to Florida/Daytona 1957, not have this - anyone else bought old home movies and had odd experiences after playing them for maybe first time for years?!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)