Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Air conditioning

Hi 300 folks,

I have to revisit the '57 A/C issue.  Since the last time we kicked this
subject around in October I've been picking up parts and scratching my
head.  And I think we're going to come up with a pretty neat setup.

I bought a complete factory system off of Ebay that came from a '59 New
Yorker.  Turns out the compressor had thrown a rod.  So that was out of
the picture, but I bought another used one from a '57.

I will use the condenser coil from the '59 which bolts in perfectly.  I
won't admit how many hours it took at the kitchen table to straighten
all the fins with a tweezer, but it did come out pretty.  The setup also
came with a neat crazy shaped finned high pressure line that goes behind
the grill, and which must be intended to augment the condenser.

I also bought an aftermarket underdash evaporator from the sixties that
will look - and should work - pretty cool.

So I think the at least the planning is on the home stretch.  But here's
my question - Should I just clean up and mount this '57 compressor in
unknown condition, using the crossed fingers method of preventing
problems?  Or should I at least pop the heads off and replace the
leaf/reed valves?  Is there any easy way to test its condition before I
mount it?

If I open it up, where might I get new gaskets and the reed valves?  I
have spent a ton of time searching and can't find anyone selling the
parts I think I need.

Your expertise, knowledge, advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Keith Boonstra
Holland Michigan

<*> Your email settings: