[Chrysler300] '59 transmission issues

When I disassembled my E, the trans was having issues, usually didn't
want to shift to 3rd unless I did 2, then D. Also low speed upshifts. A
reasonably experienced cast iron torqueflight guy ( a dozen or so
successful rebuilds) took it apart, replaced clutches, plates. He had
not done a 300. It already had a HD governor weight, but still the
stiffer, standard clutch return spring. He built it according to
standard trans specs. Result....still low speed 1-2 shift, but tricky to
get it into drive & slipping under pressure. Check pressures running on
hoist & not all good. Suspect....valve body which he cleaned before
re-assembly. We have now salvaged another valve body from a '59 plymouth
V8 and put that in. Result..slow, lazy 1-2 shift but better D shift. All
linkage measurements appear correct. We are now going to disassemble the
trans again and add the additional clutch plate, lighter HD clutch
return spring and a few other HD parts from Gary Nelson. SOOOOO does
anyone have any ideas why we are having these issues? Anything we should
look for that might have been missed the first time? Does having a mix
of HD & standard parts have anything to do with it?
Suggestions appreciated.

Lindsey in Winnipeg

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional