Re: [Chrysler300] Removing whatever

I pretty much go through the same sort of sequence.  The only difference
is that I would put the acetone out to #5 in the order.  There are
certain things that acetone will actually cut faster than lacquer
thinner will, but it's rare you have to go beyond the "lots of lacquer
thinner" step.

Another helpful chemical that I end up using in liberal amounts is
toilet bowl cleaner.  Anything that is corrosion related isn't going to
be touched by the above solvents in any way, but the acid in toilet bowl
cleaner will do a decent job for very little cost.  If the rust is thick
and deep on a part you may find it works well to douse the part in the
cleaner and wrap it in a plastic grocery bag for a few hours.  If you
rinse it after taking it out of the bag and a new lighter colored rust
has begun to form, coat it again and leave it in the bag for less time.

Keith Boonstra

-

mckanical-marvels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I have a sequence when removing something such as this. I'll go through
> these products one by one until I am successful:
> 1) Alcohol
> 2) Naphtha
> 3) Acetone
> 4) Lacquer thinner