RE: [Chrysler300] Electric fuel pump

Paul:

I can't provide specifics, but I purchased a 6-Volt unit from a Carquest
store and installed it near the gas tank in my 1955 Chrysler 300.  It
apparently works by reciprocation of a diaphragm and action of check valves.
When not in operation, fuel flows through the pump check valves and the
standard mechanical fuel pump works just fine.  The pump also acts as an
additional check valve to prevent backflow.  These pumps are pretty generic
and probably available from any full-service parts store.

I have the pump wired through a HD push button switch (also purchased from
Carquest) and powered from the start connection of the ignition switch.  On
those frequent occasions when the 331 300 engine fails to start on the first
crank I now assume another mysterious disappearance of fuel from the carbs
has occurred.  I place the gear selector in drive to prevent the starter
from engaging, twist the ignition key to crank/start and push the bottom.  I
can hear the pump running and when it finally lifts the floats and the carbs
are full, the sound changes as the pump is pumping against closed float
valves.  I place the dagger-in-the-dash back in neutral, give the
accelerator pedal a couple of pumps and the engine starts quickly and easily
every time.

Several members claim that a car with a properly set up engine, distributor
and carbs will not experience hard starting, even with corn gas and other
21st century fuels only partially compatible to 20th century fuel delivery
systems.  Hard starting of my '55 is apparently not a new problem as it has
manual chokes installed-presumably by the original or second owner in the
Colorado Springs area.  I use the chokes for a minute or two until I get
some manifold heat.  Has anyone else seen manual chokes on the old hemi's?

Considering that modern cars often have the electric fuel pump in the gas
tank, that the entire fuel system is sealed and that the fuel is more or
less designed to function in this environment, it is not too surprising or
an indication of poor design or maintenance of our old 300's that we
experience some problems with the fuel.  Especially when the carbs are
vented to the atmosphere and sitting on a hot manifold.

Others have also observed that wear of the pin that drives the mechanical
fuel pump may significantly reduce the effectiveness of the pump.

The compression ratio of my '55 300 engine is 8.5:1, so
pinging/detonation/preignition is not a problem.  I put the same fuel in my
'05 Durango and get better mileage towing the 300 than driving it.  I also
get better mileage in the Durango when towing if I use higher octane fuel as
the engine's computer  automatically adjusts its timing to the performance
of the fuel it is devouring.

More than you asked, but I had a few minutes.  Hope this helps.

C-300'ly

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 C-300