  From: keboonstra
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:07 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Mopar help database

  To all in 300 land,

  I'd like to run a thought out there and see what you think.

  If our dream trip comes true, Judy and I would like to take a once-in-a-lifetime trip next year in our very special '57 C. If things continue on course I hope to have the C's complete off-frame restoration complete sometime next spring; and we are dreaming of driving a very wide clockwise or counter-clockwise loop from Michigan that would take us on a two lane road tour through both the Northwest and the Southwest US. Perhaps 5000 miles or more. And, of course, we will want to be at the LSMFT meet in early June.

  We do have some reticence about taking on such an ambitious tour. Even though every part of the car will be refreshed, something is bound to go wrong. And it concerns me that knowledgeable assistance is not going to be found in every town along the way.

  I expect many others plan to travel pretty significant distances to the meet as well, and I know on the other hand that we have so many club members who would willingly offer to help a fellow 300 enthusiast with a problem. So here's what I'm wondering-

  Do you agree that it would be amazing to have a website set up - e.g. Moparhelp.com or something of that nature - where an online map would display the location of people willing to help all Mopar collectors with a problem anywhere in the US? It be would similar to finding the location of a NAPA store online. You could home in to detail by clicking on a location and find the contact information to reach anyone who had volunteered to be helpful to travelers with knowledge, parts, or wrenching.

  I envision that members of several `50s and `60s clubs would be willing to participate - such as our 300 clubs, the WPC club, the Imperial Owners club, the DeSoto club etc. Each participant could list his membership(s) and what kind of help he may be able to lend. Perhaps there could even be a separate listing for locating service parts that may be needed to repair our running gear.

  Well, these are my baseline thoughts, and I'd like to stir up a conversation on the idea of setting up such a database. I wish I could personally be of more technological help on this, but I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do it. I just know there are those who can, and I would hope that some software app already exists to format these interactive maps.

  I know I would personally feel much more comfortable while rolling a long way from home - just knowing I could call on the support of fellow enthusiasts if something went wrong. And I believe many others would feel the same.

  What do you think? Is this something that should be done? Would you be willing to be on the list of volunteers? Could you possibly help with setting it up?

  Your turn -----------

  Thanks,
  Keith Boonstra

<*> Your email settings: