[Chrysler300] 300D temperature sender

Hello everyone and Happy New Year.

Finally got the 392 fired up, and after 20 minutes at 2500RPM (Isky cam break in, as per manufacturer and my machine shop), everything was still in place and sounded great. What a relief.

But, I realized that my temp. sender, which I just got from a local store, doesn't seem to correlate with my gauge. It is OK when cold, but at 105 it is half way up the scale, and at 115 degrees it is pegged at hot.....so, I am assuming that the gauge is OK. (I measured the temp at various points with an infrared thermometer, and after warming up, even after the 20 minute fast idle, it was still at 175.)
I tried adding a resistor, in the form of a tail light bulb, and that brought the reading down back onto the scale, about 3/4 way up on the gauge.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to this idea (adding some resistance into the circuit), or would it make more sense to get a correct sender?

I was assured by NAPA that the sender they sold me is the correct one, but I am not so sure. Does anybody have one, or a part number for one.
As always, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom in sunny Tucson
(Nice to be warm again, after our cold spell, which brought the temp at our place, just outside of town, to mid teens over new Years day and busted a 1 1/2" galvanized pipe from our pressure tank to the house....lots of fun dealing with that....

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)