[Chrysler300] Our Generational Hobby

  I received the following message today from Duffy's Collectible Cars in
Cedar Rapids, IA and felt it was appropriate to share with you 300 guys and
gals.  www.duffys.com No 300's in stock today, though.

However, as an Iowa Boy, I'm a little disappointed with Larry's referring to
a "concourse" in your area.  Maybe he was referring to the hallway out to
the DC-3's on the ramp at the Cedar Rapids airport.        I hope we have
some kids show up at Carmel.  Every once in a while I'll invite a kid to sit
in our '55 C-300 and one kid immediately actuated all the switches, the horn
and the "dagger-on-the-dash-grinning from ear-to-ear.  I think the C-300
hooked him!

Now that spring has, seemingly arrived, we can hit the streets and shows in
full stride.

One thing we as "Old Car Guys and Gals" may not think about is that this
wonderful hobby of ours is "generational" and we need to pass it on to
posterity in order to keep it alive.  If you think back I'm sure there is
some figure in your life that helped ignite the fire in you to spend
countless hours chasing phantom parts and exploring old buildings in search
of that "low mileage whatever" from a tiny newspaper ad in the Left
Overshoe, Montana Courier.  That figure has become us.

In the past some states have tried to establish "klunker laws" that would
have effectively taken our hobby off the public streets and put us in the
closet, but due to the efforts of many passionate classic car owners that
hasn't happened yet.  However, if we don't create another generation of car
fanatics, whether that is a 50 year old classic cruiser or a high
performance supercharged special edition from 2010, we as the "parenting
generation" need to pass this passion on.

A few years ago I used to see bumper stickers and T-shirts saying in effect
to "Take a kid to a car show".  If we want to protect our rights to enjoy
and drive our old cars we need the support of the next generation.  So, we
must nurture that passion.

My advice is when there is the next car show, cruise night, classic car
auction, or concourse in your area grab your kid, the neighbor's kid (that
you can stand), or become a Big Brother or Sister to a child that could use
some direction and take them to that event. It will not only help perpetuate
our love affair with the automobile it just may well kindle a personal
relationship that will last a life time.

Drive safe and don't have too much fun.

-Ronnie Craig

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional