RE: [Chrysler300] 1964 Chrysler 300 Kwestions

RE: [Chrysler300] 1964 Chrysler 300 Kwestions

Ah-ha!  Thank you Mike.  Here's a copy of another messgae I sent back to
Rich:

Hey Rich -

I'll think of you when Carla & I visit the state fair in August.

Well, I'm not an expert on the K; so I checked a few things.  I was wrong on
something. From what I can tell the ram K came with the "performance
indicator" vacuum gauge in the console, just like the non-ram K with the
automatic.  The manual trans K came with the tach.  And the manual trans was
only available on the non-ram single 4bbl engine.  This is documented in the
Ackerson book on the Chrysler 300.  In that book, Gil Cunningham is quoted
as being appalled when in 1964 working for Chrysler he sat in a ram K
convertible - and it had the vacuum gauge.

Based on the remote power brake booster - this is a ram K.  If I am correct
on that, this is an extremely rare car.  As of the last K registry published
that I have (Newsflite - Sept. 2002) there were only 17 known ram K
convertibles left, and only two of those were code TT1 Roman Red (both with
M8X black leather interiors).

I know, if I'm sending you into cardiac arrest and I'm wrong you're going to
kick my butt.  But we'll see.  That's a remote power brake booster in the
fender well.  Ain't nothing else that occupies that space.

Congrats again on a great find!  Please let the whole club know the when Gil
gets you the build card, or you get the car, whichever is first.

Carl

Rich- looking at the pictures again - be prepared for some possible
surprises.  I think there is a reason they didn't bother to show the engne
in the K.  It may not be original, or it may be mssing its rams, or maybe
the hood is just stuck shut.  Any intact ram engine would have been
photgraphed due to the "visual appeal" if for no other reason.  The shots on
the lift seem to indicate an undersized (2 inch) single exhaust.  That makes
no sense.  I can't see any of the exhaust headers and it would have 2.5 inch
duals on it.  I'm just saying - be prepared.

Regardless, you've got one helluva car!

Best,
Carl Bilter
300J