Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 Chrysler vs. DeSoto assembly process puzzle

Keith,
    A few thoughts on your query regarding inner fenders on Chryslers and DeSotos.  DeSotos in ‘57 were, if not mistaken, assembled at the Warren Avenue, Detroit plant and the 300s at the Jefferson Avenue plant.  Also the DeSotos had the front clip different for the FireSweep model on the Dodge 122” wheelbase vs. the other DeSotos and Chryslers on the 126” wheelbase.  Dodge and Plymouth were on 122” wheelbases.  The Firesweep in ‘57 was built along Dodge measurements.  Interesting fact is that all the dimensions of the bodies of the ‘57 Chrysler products (except perhaps Imperial) were the same up to the firewall. The front clip was measured depending on if it was going on a 122” or 126” wheelbase chassis.  There may be an explanation for your query about inner fender painting based on this difference in model spread with wheelbase options and different plants for assembly.  300’ly, Rob Kern

From: keboonstra
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2011 4:16 PM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] 1957 Chrysler vs. DeSoto assembly process puzzle

Here's a little puzzler regarding Chrysler's assembly process to get you thinking:

I believe it to be pretty well accepted that Chrysler assembled and painted our 300C (and all other Chrysler) front clips as one unit, then they installed them as a single unit on the front of the car after the chassis, including the engine, was all assembled. Thus the inner fenders are the same color as the body (and the inner fenders are often rusted to the outer fenders). We have the process all figured out, right?

So now Google up some photos of the engine compartments of 1957 DeSotos. You'll find that the inner fenders are not painted in body color, but appear instead to be painted in some sort of gray or black. So they had to have been painted separately from the outer fenders, and then assembled into a complete front clip. The hood hinges and the assembly bolts are also not painted in body color as on the Chrysler.

There would have to have been a decision to handle the DeSoto front clip painting and assembling process in a different manner from that of the Chrysler. And it would have required a very different line to do it.

Why would such a difference exist? Was the DeSoto built in a different plant with its own manufacturing order and making its own assembly process and color decisions? And does this underhood difference between the Chrysler and the DeSoto process exist for years other than 1957 as well?

It all seems a bit odd and surprising to me. Hardly critical stuff, but this sort of trivia is interesting to me. Anyone out there with the answer?

Keith Boonstra

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: