RE: [Chrysler300] Fw: Shop air system piping recommendations

RE: [Chrysler300] Fw: Shop air system piping recommendations

I researched this a great deal when I built my shop in 1990.  I went with
type L copper throughout with 3 drops.  All the drops have drop legs with
ball valve drain valves to collect and purge any water that may form, and
they all have regulator/dryers on them.  I rarely find any water in the drop
legs, but do observe water coming out of the bottom compressor drain when I
purge that, maybe twice a year.  I have never had any water come out while
spray painting and the air is as dry as a bone.  Even at the highest volume
use point, my bead blast cabinet, there has never been any evidence of
moisture.

Copper is much easier to work with than black or galvanized iron, in my
opinion, and lighter weight.  Sweating the fittings is not a big deal, and
if you've never done it give it a try on some scrap pieces, you'll get the
hang of it quickly.  You only need a propane torch, solder and some flux, as
well as a tubing cutter.

Forget PVC, the danger is too great, especially over time as it could
degrade from oil and get brittle.  Copper lasts forever.  Make sure you have
a slope back to the compressor on all your lines, I used 1/8" per foot.
That way the moisture flows back to the compressor and you drain it out
periodically at the bottom of the tank.

Bob J