RE: [Chrysler300] Spark plugs

A quick Google indicates the pitch is also metric-1.25 mm-20.32
threads/inch.  Also, recommends using a thread chaser, not a tap.

Reminds me of an early and major panic when I twisted off a new spark plug
in a customer's hemi at Earl Canady's Phillips 66 station at 42nd &
University in Des Moines in about 1955.  As a young teen, I pictured having
to pull that huge head and a trip to a machine shop.  Otto, the senior
mechanic, selected a long, heavy screw driver, inserted it into the broken
off threaded section in the head, rapped it a few times with a hammer,
proceeded to unscrew the broken-off lower portion of the spark plug and
brought the piece out, firmly set on the end of the screwdriver.  The plug
has straight threads, of course, so was an "easy out".   I had removed the
spark plug gasket as was/is proper for hemi's, but was not allowed to use
the boss' precision torque wrench.  Live and learn.  Whew.  Getting the
spark plug gaskets off of the spark plugs is no easier now than it was then.
Wedge heads are advised here that the soft aluminum tube that surrounds the
plug and ignition wire in the hemi head curves around to fit closely to the
base of the spark plug and serves as the gasket.  I still wonder how many
plug round trips that aluminum tube is good for.

Recalling rich-est memories of Christmas' past at the station during the
winter.  We were open, but closed early Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Some customers gave us Christmas tips and others brought fudge and cookies.
I loved working there in the '50's.  We also closed early on New Year's eve,
mainly to avoid the drunks.  The big Chryslers with 8.20X15 or 9.00X15 snow
tires never seemed to get stuck and had great heaters and defrosters.  Those
parked outside often required a jump start, especially in sub-zero weather
that weakened batteries and thickened the motor oil.

Best wishes to all for a Merry 300'ly Christmas and a Happy, Healthy and
Prosperous New Year.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA (27 last night-very cold for here)