 From: Edward Mills Antique Tractors <millserat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: John Lazenby <french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: John Nowosacki <jsnowosacki@xxxxxxxxx>; Roger Schaaf <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Travis Baker <travisbaker4@xxxxxxxxx>; "Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Disc brakes

I used Kleen Wheels for a while on a 2300 pound Sports Car that I drive
pretty hard in the 1980 time frame up and down a mountain road to/from
work every day - they did keep wheels clean but I found they affected
brake cooling and had some issues with fade under repeated hard braking
- even with Ferrodo DS11 racing brake pads - took them off and fade
problem went away.

Probably OK if I had been sane in my younger day. May be fine for a
classic that is not driven hard or not repeated hard braking with little
cool off time in between.  But if you are going to discs for stopping
power on a 4000-5000 pound car it may be something to think about.

On 1/28/2012 9:33 AM, John Lazenby wrote:

> Regarding the "brake dust", I've found a way to greatly improve this
> problem.  Our '57 300 had 15" MotorRim & Wheel factory wire wheels
> used by Chrysler from 1953-1956.
>
> When the disc brakes were installed I suffered with brake dust and
> even changed the pads with different compounds trying to be the
> problem.  The best the pad changes did was improved it some.
>
> Years prior I had sold a product, KleenWheels
> http://www.kleenwheels.com/ which our customers were very pleased
> with.  I ordered a set for the car which I think were listed as a
> "universal" set based on the bolt pattern.
>
> They installed easily and made a huge difference on the brake dust.  I
> would recommend anyone having the "dust" issue give them a try.
>
> John Lazenby
>

> ________________________________
> From: John Nowosacki <jsnowosacki@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jsnowosacki%40gmail.com>>
> To: Roger Schaaf <obiwan10@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:obiwan10%40comcast.net>>
> Cc: John Lazenby <french_fryguy@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:french_fryguy%40yahoo.com>>; Travis Baker
> <travisbaker4@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:travisbaker4%40gmail.com>>;
> "Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>"
> <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Chrysler300%40yahoogroups.com>>
> Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:01 AM
> Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Disc brakes
>

> I used the AAJ conversion on my G and am pleased with the
> results.  I'd have to say that it only really stops about 10-15%
> better than a correctly set up original drum system, but given the
> dampness of the Northeast and the amount of time the car sits over the
> winter (though not this winter-hooray!) I don't miss messing with
> leaky wheel cylinders or adjusting cams.
> I have the complete original system as you don't have to mofify
> anything with AAJ.  I can swap back for originality quite easily if I
> wanted to, but it is so easy to just change pads or even a caliper as
> compared to the original system that I doubt I will ever do so.
> The only drawback I have seen is that the vented wheel covers of the G
> do allow a good amount of brake dust to dirty the white walls and
> lower body panels behind the front wheels.
> I could probably change to a different pad that didn't create quite so
> much dust, but it will take years for me to wear these out at only a
> couple thousand miles per year.
> I'm seriously considering the same setup for my 57C.
> You can just buy the bracket and bolts from AAJ and then by the discs,
> calipers, pads, etc. from your local auto parts store so you don't
> have to pay a lot for shipping these heavier pieces from the west
> coast if you don't live close to them.
> I'd prefer the more massive disc brakes like the ones on my Hurst over
> the GM caliper Monte Carlo sized system, but they seem to be fine for
> my use and I haven't experienced any brake fade or overheating.  I
> still have the drum brakes on the rear, but I think they may have a
> rear disc setup as well?

> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: