From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charlie V
Sent: Wednesday, 21 March 2012 6:20 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Larry Jabin
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1958 300D Brake shoe lining

Not sure if 1958 shoes are any different but whenever I purchased brakes shoes the set usually had two shoes with the lining on the Whole shoe and it also had two shoes with the lining ending an inch or so before each end of the shoe.

The shoe with the shorter lining goes on the front half and the shoe that has Full lining goes on the rear half. I did an internet search to verify this and it's shown below.

Where does the bigger size brake shoe go front or rear in drum?

The smaller shoe should go on the front. The larger shoe should go to the rear, but not because of why you might think!

When the brakes are applied the front shoe tries to jam itself into the brake drum. It is that front cohesive part that has the strongest braking force - pressing most-so upon the forward-facing shoe. However, even though the front shoe is where the majority of braking force is applied, it does not get the larger shoe!

As noted, in a braking mode, the majority of the force that the decelerating vehicle applies to the brake shoes is applied against the forward shoe by the forward-most area of the inner brake drum, this makes the forward shoe the stronger, braking-wise. To help even things out, the rear secondary shoe is designed to be larger, to more equally match the braking power of the smaller, but more powerful front primary shoe.
Ergo: The proper place for the larger shoe is to the rear.

Lion Charlie Valentine
300G, 1962 300 Sport Convertible