[Chrysler300] Dexron vs. type F and the real issue which is that LETTER

[Chrysler300] Dexron vs. type F and the real issue which is that LETTER CAR transmissions are different and are high performance

Greetings-

Yes, this subject is getting tired, but instead of deleting or moaning you
may actually want to read this as this relates to letter cars which, after
all, is the real reason for the listserver, and it wasn't clear to me that
the latest thread actually ever got focused on letter cars.

I am no transmission expert, but George Riehl is (or was) and he wrote an
excellent article for the NewsFlite about 10 or 15 years ago on letter car
transmissions.

For those newer to the club, here is what George had to say about letter car
transmissions:

1)     "There were many internal differences for the 300 (letter car)
transmissions and it gets very involved.  Front and rear clutch packs have
more friction discs.  Front cushion spring is eliminated, kick down lever is
of a different ratio, rear clutch spring is different, accumulator spring is
eliminated, line pressures are higher, clutch pack clearances are closer,
band adjustments are tighter and governor weights and springs are
different."

2)     "The fluid to use in these transmissions (letter cars) is type F or
FA.  I prefer type F when available.  Type "A" suffix "A" should not be used
and is fortunately not readily available.  Do not use Mercon or Dexron, as
they will result in early transmission failure.  Chrysler put out a special
tech bulletin to technicians to use Type F, even in the A833 4-speed
transmissions."

It would be interesting if someone could dig up that tech bulletin and see
exactly when it was issued and to what transmissions it applies to.

Of note, after Dexron was introduced Chrysler began using it as the factory
transmission fill for both TorqueFlite and the A-833 4-speed.  From the 1975
chassis service manual, page 0-27: "Use only fluids of the type labeled
DEXRON Automatic Transmission Fluid such as MOPAR DEXRON Automatic
Transmission Fluid, Part Number 3549660, or equivalent."

Of course, this was long after letter cars and their modified high
performance transmissions.  I assume, therefore, the real need for type F is
both for firm shifts and the so the modified higher performance letter car
transmissions do not fail prematurely.

Carl Bilter

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional