[Chrysler300] 59E Engine Number

In the ?INC? club database, I note several E?s with four and five digit
serial numbers following the MR413?none relating to the VIN and they don?t
look like dates.  Owners have reported prefixes of MR, MB & MP before the
413.  I suspect they are misreads and/or typos and that all the prefixes are
MR.  Perhaps the Chrysler build tickets include the original complete engine
number?  I just spent way too much time on the ?net? searching for answers
to this question and the most definitive answer would be to reference the
block casting number to determine which of many variants one may have.

>From the Imperial website:

Engine numbers back in the early 1960's were not that long. For 1961, the
engine number on an Imperial would have had prefix "R 41" or "R 413",
followed by digits for the date of assembly. A third digit, "2", after the
date meant the car was built on the 2nd shift that date. The car's serial
number was not stamped on the block and there is no way to prove the engine
in the car was the engine the car was built with originally.

In '61 the Engine ID was not by the distributor. Looking at the car from the
front the engine ID number is located on a flat pad directly in front of the
valley pan/intake closer to the driver side head. Should start off something
like XX 413.  There is a pad on the front of the block on top just in front
of the intake manifold. This is referred to as an RB pad, because it is only
there on the RB blocks and not the B blocks. This is where you will find
info on the engine such as year, size( RB's were 413, 426w, and 440) and
other things such as undersized bearings and oversized cylinders.

>From another Imperial website:

Engine number, except limo (on the block in a flat space behind the water
pump):
MR 413 1001 à MR 413 ..... Limo: see 57
Serial and engine numbers are not the same.

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA