RE: [Chrysler300] Ram K Blues

It sounds like ignition, but do a step by step assessment of fuel and
ignition system components.  It is either or both.  Do not start by assuming
the Pertronix module is at fault, but it could be something in the ignition
system that affects the module. The fact that the car runs at all says to me
that the module itself is not the problem.  Likely suspects are 1) low
voltage to the module (bad connection). Do you have the red wire plumbed
directly into the switched ignition circuit, not to the coil?  You should
connect the red wire to the full 12v switched ignition circuit at the input
to the ballast resistor. Connecting directly to the coil with the ballast
resistor in the circuit will give low voltage, but the unit will fire down
to about 8 volts.  2) bad ground (bad connection) check impedance (ohms)
between the breaker plate in the distributor and the negative battery cable
- should be less than 0.3 ohms or so.  Check black wire connection at the
coil.  Check for a bad coil (check impedance with all wires disconnected,
with coil both hot and cold, and check for oil leaking at the tower).  Also
a bad ignition wire could impact the Pertronix unit.  Do you have solid core
(metallic) ignition wires? If they are old solid core wires they can impact
the Pertronix unit (generally speaking solid core wires are not recommended
for electronic ignitions).

If it is the fuel system - everything from bad gad to vacuum leaks to crud
that got sucked up into one of the carbs - lots of possibilities.  Good luck
on the diagnosis.

Carl B

300J

  _____