Re: [Chrysler300] 1955: 300 or C300?

I saw an earlier note here demonstrating "C" was a prefix for nearly everything! That, to me, sounds more likely than the allegation I was repeating.
Mike Moore

On Mar 2, 2013, at 4:43 PM, "Rich Barber" <c300@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I have heard that story, also, but cannot recall any confirmation.  However,
I don't believe in coincidences.  Hoping that John, Gil and/or others will
share their thoughts on the Cunningham/C3 story.  My mom was a Cunningham,
so I'm always interested in any link to that grand old Scot-Irish name.

>From Wikipedia:  C3

Most Cunningham automobiles were high-performance prototypes that Briggs
Cunningham and his team built specifically for racing in the 1950s. A few,
adapted for street use, were personal vehicles. In 1952, Cunningham
introduced the Continental C3 road car. Production began in his West Palm
Beach plant where his team of mechanics installed 331-cubic-inch Chrysler
hemi V-8s in racing chassis. These were shipped to Turin, Italy to be fitted
with aluminum and steel bodies by coachbuilder Vignale, after which they
were returned to the Florida plant for completion. There were 25 Continental
C3s produced: 20 coupes and five convertibles. They sold for $8,000 to
$12,000. Notable owners included Nelson Rockefeller and a member of the Du
Pont family. Of these 25 cars, 24 are known to have survived.

For Google images of the C3, see:  http://tinyurl.com/azqkyws  Hmmm-- a
high-performance, luxury coupe in a creamy white, with a 331 Chrysler hemi
engine under the hood, a gaping grille and minimal decorative trim.  Would
have made a great ride for James Bond.

Barber, Rich Barber
003